Type 2 Diabetic. Cyclist Flâneur.   Coffeeneur.    Errandoneur
A bike / map geek with a gadget obsession and a high-viz fetish.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

First Ride 2011, First Flat Tire. 215 Pounds

214.8#

Rode 10 miles in 31F. Swapped out all my batteries (first of the month). Intended to ride 18, but I squandered the day and ended up setting out late (1600) which would have moved my ride into darkness - which is OK except my headlight battery wasn't recharged.

So I scaled back the plan to ride an 11 mile course which features two big hills. I had a great ride, it was a pretty, clear day. Clothing was comfortable. About a mile from home I heard a new noise, turned out I had a hole in my rear tire and tube, with air whistling out of the hole.

I rode into a local pizza shop, called my One Above All for a rescue, and she showed up shortly in the car with the bike rack. It was just too cold and approaching dark to be changing a flat tire if I could avoid it.

I've decided to replace my rear tire, it's getting a bit thin and I've had three flats in four weeks on it, and that's getting old. I hope to get a Vittoria Randonneur Cross Tire at REI tomorrow.


Read an interesting NY Times article The Bicycling Paradox: Fit Doesn't Have to Mean Thin.

The article pointed out that cycling is perhaps unique in sports in that body mass isn't necessarily deterministic. It was an interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment