Type 2 Diabetic. Cyclist Flâneur.   Coffeeneur.    Errandoneur
A bike / map geek with a gadget obsession and a high-viz fetish.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Icarus at Big Savage Vista

Mon 5.23 3m
Tues 5.24 36m
Wed 5.25 18m
Fri 5.27 18m
mtd: 209 ytd: 749
Monday I drove to the GAP's Deal trailhead rather late in the day. Parked the van, loaded the bike, rode all of 3 miles to the Big Savage Vista. I've had a bucket-list item to camp overnight there, and see the sunrise over the hills, for too long a time.


click to embiggen in new window

Sunrise was cool. Unfortunately, there was a big fire in the town of Mount Savage, which you can see in this close-up:


This very much reminds me of Pieter Bruegel's Landscape with the Fall of Icarus, in which tragedy is almost hard to identify in the midst of daily activity. In Bruegel's art, Icarus is making a splash in the bottom-right corner, between the galleon and the shore.




After breaking camp I rode back to the trailhead, got in the van, drove to Meyersdale for breakfast at GI Dayroom. I see a place with bikes outside and I think, My tribe is here.


Parked in Frostburg MD. Used the Wifi at Mountainside Coffee to get some work done, then rode down to Cumberland checking coordinates of cross-streets. Saw this Snake, indulged the tendency to document it:



Riding into Cumberland, there's a bit of new bike infrastructure that removes the need for an at-grade crossing of a fairly busy street. Thank you Cumberland!



Wednesday I rode around Pittsburgh accomplishing small details. I did stop at Pittsburgh's nicest homeless camp and asked permission to take a picture. Bird-feeders! Carpet! Spoke with the resident, an eloquent person who invited me in and offered hospitality but I demurred.


Friday I rode with my wife Karen, McDonald PA out to Walden's Restaurant in Burgettsown PA via the Panhandle Trail. Trail conditions were excellent. And finally, let I take cycling too seriously, this comes from Pearls Before Swine:

No comments:

Post a Comment