Type 2 Diabetic. Cyclist Flâneur.   Coffeeneur.    Errandoneur
A bike / map geek with a gadget obsession and a high-viz fetish.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

RIP James Price: Father, Diabetic, Cyclist, Hit and Run Victim

07/25/12 #238 42m



From the Post-Gazette:
Pittsburgh police are searching for a white vehicle that fatally struck a bicyclist in Point Breeze this morning and drove away.

Both the vehicle and the cyclist, 46-year-old James Price of Homewood, were headed inbound in the 7400 block of Penn Avenue just after 5 a.m. Mr. Price was wearing a helmet when the vehicle hit him. He was thrown about 6 feet from the mangled black bicycle, landing on the sidewalk near the steps of a nearby home.

Officers and paramedics did "all first-aid that would be reasonable and appropriate and more," but the man died about 5:30 a.m. at UPMC Presbyterian. Mr. Price was an avid cyclist, and Penn Avenue was one of his regular routes, relatives said.

The father of an 11-year-old daughter, he had gotten in shape over the last two years by riding several times a day. Diet and exercise helped alleviate his diabetes.


more at CarpetBagger.




Rode 42 miles, Boggs to McMurray, via the Montour Trail with my friend K. A beautiful, clear blue day.

We have put some blog content that might have gone here in another place today.

1 comment:

  1. I'm 46. I started cycling 3 years ago to improve my health. I commute on busy streets....

    This story makes me ill. I hope the perpetrator is found and prosecuted. I hope is family finds a way to carry on.

    ReplyDelete