Type 2 Diabetic. Cyclist Flâneur.   Coffeeneur.    Errandoneur
A bike / map geek with a gadget obsession and a high-viz fetish.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pletscher ESGE Bipod Kickstand and Surly LHT

02/01/12 #235 0m
Kickstands are objects of disdain among roadies, weight weenies, mountain bikers and 'cross riders - all for good reasons - but for the type of riding I do, it's wonderful to have a kickstand on the bike. The weight isn't an issue; I have a lot of pounds to lose on moi before I start worrying about a two-pound kickstand.

What I love about a two-legged or bipod kickstand is that you can take a wheel off to repair a flat without laying the bike down. The bike is supported by the other wheel and the two contact points of the kickstand. That's huge, and you can't do that with a one-legged kickstand (although some people do love their Click-stands, they confer no benefit in changing a flat).



Recently I've seen a few new "townie" bikes with bipod kickstands, and I'm particularly enamored of the seat-tube kickstand on the Giant Clip (photo at right). I think it's a really elegant approach, uses an unused space and keeps the bike looking clean.

Pletscher ESGE kickstands have a mixed history with Surly LHT's; sometimes people crush the chainstays, which Surly addresses on their blog. Surly is pretty adamant about not putting a kickstand plate onto their LHT frame, and in the absence of that plate the kickstand requires almost too much torque to stay in place.

The nice folks at The Bicycle Business sell the Deluxe Pletscher Kickstand Top Plate for $8 and it has a good reputation, and I was very fortunate to receive one from Santa Claus this year.

In fact, while Santa was shopping he also brought me LRTs (little rubber things) for my kickstand, which attempt to keep a heavy bike from sinking into the dirt like a motorcycle on hot macadam.

Intallation was pretty straightforward. I'm pleased with the results so far and very happy to have a kickstand again.

No comments:

Post a Comment