Type 2 Diabetic. Cyclist Flâneur.   Coffeeneur.    Errandoneur
A bike / map geek with a gadget obsession and a high-viz fetish.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

S24O: Connellsville to Rockwood

9/18/2013 50m #227
Started off on a S24O (sub-24 hour Overnight) from Connellsville.

Right off the bat, at the trailhead by the cabooses and the Adirondak shelters, we met Rich from Baltimore, who traveled up to Pittsburgh and spent a night in a hotel just so he could ride Pittsburgh to DC. Nice guy.

Rode to Ohiopyle, then Confluence. Stopped at the Confluence Cyclery in my ongoing quest for new bike gloves, and they had what I needed. Twice this year, when all my pseudo-local bike shops were striking out, Confluence Cyclery had the goods in stock. (Also very nice people).

Departing Confluence I believe we saw Chris from Thick on an opposite direction tandem, and then later at the Pinkerton Low Bridge we met two cyclists from Dublin. They flew into DC, they're riding to Pittsburgh, then flying back to Dublin because "we just don't have anything like this".

Two anecdotal data points of the trail completion bringing people and money into Pittsburgh.

Reached Rockwood, 50 miles on the dial. I was more tired than I thought I would be, and the weight of the camping gear on the bike wore out my upper body more than I expected. We stayed at the Husky Haven campground which was excellent - reasonably priced, excellent arrangements.

Of course, everything in Rockwood is serenaded by trains and train whistles, to the tune of 53 trains a day. Cooked and ate dinner, listened to the Pirates game on an AM radio with a campfire crackling, sipped a bit of Jameson's and slept very well.


No comments:

Post a Comment