Type 2 Diabetic. Cyclist Flâneur.   Coffeeneur.    Errandoneur
A bike / map geek with a gadget obsession and a high-viz fetish.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Easy as 3.14

03/14/12 32m


Started riding the Montour Trail at Montour Run, where Wickes used to be and Garden Ridge is now. Rode east to Groveton and still had a little time to spare, so I indulged myself and rode into Coraopolis and along Vine Street to Montour St. Extension. That's a brief segment I've wanted to ride for a while and I was glad to have a chance to try it; I was happy to make it.

Reversed back to the trail in Groveton, and back to MP4.5 at Garden Ridge. Trail conditions were excellent. It was so nice to ride in shorts and a jersey; I thought it would be tempting fate to wear my sandals on the bike so I stuck with the shoes. I waited a little bit for my riding partners K and B to arrive and then we rode west to Enlow Station.

We departed the trail and headed north on the joint-use road for the new PIT Airport Connector. We rode the new trail to where the route departs the airport at McCaslin Road, took Moon-Clinton road (which is a climb) and then re-entered the airport on the other side of I376. You work a little bit harder here than you usually do on the Montour Trail.

Rode along the service roads, it reminded me of the post-Apocalyptic Abandoned Turnpike Trail. We crossed the airport exit roadway and made our way to the terminal. They've done a really nice job of signing the route through the parking lots.

While taking a drink and watching the passengers walk by, it struck me that an airport pedicab/rickshaw service might do well, ferrying passengers with their baggage from baggage claim out to their cars, and then snagging clients-of-opportunity walking back to the terminal. Just a thought.

Departed the airport, which is a more friendly grade than entering the airport. Stopped at the Enlow Station to look for signs of opening; the sign promises a return to business on April 3, good news.

Joined the trail and rode east, through the tunnel and under the Parkway to the vehicles. A very nice ride, I had 32 miles on Pi Day (3/14).

No comments:

Post a Comment